Cycle Legs rides are designed not just as a bike tour to get from A to B, but a way to experience the cultures, people, environments and ways of life across the globe. These rides are not just a tour, but an achievement. We cycle mostly back-roads off the beaten track and through famous historic cities, past rivers, lakes and over mountains. You are beating a new path with AllTrails and you are part of the expedition. It is something that you can be proud of completing, yet it is within reach of most adventurous cyclists who are willing to commit to solid training, resulting in being able to cycle at 25kph on a flat road under normal conditions.
Leg 22 Rome to Turin details:
This bicycling journey begins in the eternal city of Rome where you will be greeted with a welcome dinner, then travels up through picturesque Tuscany and over the Apennine Mountains to Emilia Romagna. We see some really important cultural and historical sites such as San Gimignano, Siena (optional), Pisa (optional) and the classic Tuscany region of the val D’Orcia and its towns (UNESCO world heritage site and one of our local guides' favourite places in all of Italy). A rest day in Lucca is a highlight. These are some of the most visited Italian sites (the val d’Orcia has Montepulciano and Montalcino, renowned for their red wines).
The finale of this leg comes with our arrival in Turin, designated the first capital of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861, the home of the House of Savoy, and the leader in uniting Italy under one flag (also home of automotive industries like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Ducati).
Along the way we will learn about the unique features and customs of 9 of Italy's 20 regions as we pedal along quiet roads through country towns, past medieval and renaissance castles and cities. Of course there will also be ample opportunities to sample some of each region's finest wines and foods. Join us for this pioneering bicycling expedition.
Our departure date from Rome is on the same day as the start of the 2013 Tour de France. Some of you might be heading home after arriving in Turin but most will carry on with us on Leg 23 from Torino to Paris where we cycle some of the famous Tour de France routes before heading into wine country then catching the final day of the Tour in Paris around the streets of Champs-Elysees.
Leg 22 Highlights:
• The ancient city and cultural history of Rome before the tour starts
• The Forum, The Vatican, The Colloseum, St Peter's Square and magnificent cathedral
• Tuscany, Lucca, Emilia Romagna, San Gimignano, the val D’Orcia (UNESCO world heritage site)
• The val d’Orcia has Montepulciano and Montalcino, renowned for their red wines
• Optional side trips to Pisa, Sienna
• Pedal the Apennines of Italy
• Culinary Delights
• Piemonte wines
• Torino, the first capital of a unified Italy
• Leg 22 departs one day before the start of Tour de France 2013
• Leg 23 finishes one day before the Tour de France Champ-Elysees finish in Paris
Leg 23 Turin to Paris details:
Many cyclists will start their ride with us in Rome on Leg 22 however some will pick up the tour in Turin on Leg 23. Surrounded by the Alps of Switzerland and France, Turin in Piemonte is pure heaven where National Parks and rugged peaks are abundant and a perfect place to start our Leg 23 journey. A welcome dinner will be a great opportunity to meet the group and your tour leaders before heading off the next day to begin your assault on the massifs of these mountain ranges, riding through famous cycling territory.
We ride up and actually stay the night on top of the famous Alpe d'Huez and offer an optional route to climb Col du Galibier. After descending from the famous Alps we level out to the vineyards and chateaux in the Champagne Burgundy province. We pedal along quiet roads through country towns, past medieval and renaissance castles and cities, then the climax, cycling up along the Seine River, past the Notre Dame Cathedral then finishing under the Eiffel Tower, before cycling down the Champs Elysees to our central hotel in Paris.
Leg 23 Highlights:
• Optional extra catered grandstand package at the final day of the Tour de France in Paris.
• Climb Alpe d'Huez, stay overnight, then back down the following day.
• Cycle famous Tour de France climbs including Col du Lauteret and Col du Galibier (optional).
• Cycle Piemonte region and enjoy the region's wines.
• Turin, the first capital of a unified Italy beginning 1861.
• Indulge in Italian and French Culinary Delights.
• Cross Italian / French border over the famous Alps.
• Celebrate Bastille Day in France.
• Hot Water Springs.
• Burgundy region of vineyards & chateaux.
• Grenoble, Lyon following the Seine in Paris.
• 1 nights in Paris near Champs-Elysees.
• Leg 22 departs one day before the start of Tour de France 2013.
• Leg 23 finishes one day before the Tour de France Champ-Elysees finish in Paris.
A Day on the Ride
Imagine waking up in some beautiful little Italian or French hotel, the breakfast presented beautifully and tasting even better, before mounting your road bike and heading off over the alps or perhaps making your way through vineyards and rolling countryside with a group of other like-minded cyclists. We will be riding at approx 25kph on the flat roads, taking in all the scenery and activities along the way. Cyclists don't have to ride in a group, however we do want to be kept reasonably close together, allowing good service if mechanical problems arise or first aid is required. We expect a normal day's cycling to finish at approximately 2pm where we then have the day to explore the village or relax at the hotel. An evening meal is often provided, leaving other evenings for your choice of meal and restaurants.
This is a fully supported and guided bike tour where we look after you day and night. It truly is a cycling holiday like no other.