We are pleased to present our Cycle Legs rides for 2013. Once again we have lived up to our reputation for being the ‘Pioneers with Ideas’ as we have put together rides that will introduce you to countries whose history and buildings date back to Biblical times. These tours take you to fascinating places through Turkey, Greece, Italy and France, fully supported by Phil & Susan with local tour guides.
Leg 20 cycles from Istanbul, to ancient Troy, through the Gallipoli battlefields and across Greece to the beautiful island of Corfu. There is also a short ride option from Istanbul to Gallipoli. Book today or give us a call - we look forward to having a chat.
Cycle Legs rides are designed not just as a bike tour to get from A to B, but a way to experience the cultures, people, environments and ways of life across the globe. These rides are not just a tour, but an achievement. We cycle mostly back-roads off the beaten track and through famous historic cities, past rivers, lakes and over mountains. You are beating a new path with AllTrails and you are part of the expedition. It is something that you can be proud of completing, yet it is within reach of most adventurous cyclists who are willing to commit to solid training, resulting in being able to cycle at 25kph on a flat road under normal conditions.
This leg begins in the bustling, energetic, hip, traditional and modern mixture of a city that is Istanbul. After enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of this exciting city we ferry across the sea of Marmara and begin our ride through much quieter countryside, west towards Troy and Gallipoli. We have a wonderful opportunity to cycle through the Gallipoli battlefields which will leave you moved and humbled.
Here is the end of our short ride option frrom Istanbul to Gallipoli, however for those lucky enought to be riding on to Greece, the second part of this trip offers some great cycling through the mountains, passing through exciting moden cities and tiny villages that still enjoy a way of life that has been the same for centuries. Taste the lovely home baked breads, tasty meats, olives and the natural home grown vegetables. Our last stop is the famous island of Corfu - one of the cliche Greek islands that you see on the postcards and in travel magazines.
Leg 20 Highlights
• Istanbul - an over-abundance of important historic buildings, exciting art galleries and museums.
• Also known as the 'World's Hippest City' with trendy bars, cafe, clubs & modern culture.
• Istanbul Bosporus cruise and dinner on waterway between Marmara and the Black Sea.
• Ferry from Istanbul to Bandirma.
• Wooden Horse of Troy and the historic underground cities now exposed.
• Gallipoli fields whre thousands fought gallantly and many died for their countries.
• Short ride option from Istanbul to Gallipoli for those short on time.
• Greece / Turkey border.
• Many thermal springs in hotels with spa and massage facilities.
• Lunch at Feres, a lovely setting near the Evros River, which flows into the Mediterranean waters
• Cycle the coast of the Aegean Sea, part of the Mediterranean Sea.
• Xanthi - city of a thousand colours.
• Rest day in Thessaloniki, Greece's cultural capital.
• Meteora monasteries built on top of natural sandstone rock pillars, incredible UNESCO site.
• Ride through the mountains, visiting tiny villages off the beaten track.
• Taste lovely home baked breads, tasty meats, olives and the natural home grown vegetables.
• Corfu, World Heritage island - once only for the elite, now a tourist desitination for the lucky.
Wake up ready for another exciting day exploring worlds that most people never get the chance to even dream of experiencing. Enjoy a relaxed breakfast before mounting your treadlie and heading off with other cyclists ready for adventure. We have a designated meeting point up the road for morning tea, then again we will have a lunch stop allocated around midday before finishing the day's ride in early afternoon.
We usually arrange the evening meal in our accommodation or close-by where our local guides direct us to the best culinary eateries. In the evenings you may relax in your room or socialise with some of the other riders and locals in the town or at our accommodation.
In general most days on tour have a similar structure but a cycling holiday like this can throw up any number of exciting opportunities and challenges which can change our plans or approach to the day.
This is a fully supported and guided bike tour where we look after you day and night. It truly is a cycling holiday like no other.