March 22, 2011

The Santos Tour Down Under has continued to set new records with this year’s event attracting the
biggest crowd in its 13 year history and injecting more than $43 million into the South Australian

Premier Mike Rann announced today that economic impact and research figures reveal the 2011
Santos Tour Down Under attracted crowds of more than 782,000.

The announcement follows the event’s win at the Qantas Australia Tourism Awards earlier this
month, where the 2010 Santos Tour Down Under was named the country’s best major event and
festival, for the second year in a row.

Meanwhile, Škoda, the Santos Tour Down Under official vehicle supplier, has signed a new three
year partnership with the event. Their sponsorship with the Santos Tour Down Under, which started
in 2008, extends now to 2014.

The research reveals the 2011 Santos Tour Down Under, held from 16-23 January, attracted:
• $43.3 million in economic impact compared to $41.5 million in 2010
• 782,393 spectators, up from 770,500 in 2010
• $1,169 spent by each event specific visitor from interstate and overseas compared to $1,047 in 2010.
• $154.3 million of media coverage, compared to $124 million in 2010
• 284 hours of television broadcast, compared to 262 hours in 2010

“The Santos Tour Down Under continues to go from strength to strength and is firmly entrenched
now as the State’s biggest sporting event,” Mr Rann said.

“It is a fantastic event for South Australia, attracting cycling fans and visitors from interstate and
overseas to our State and injecting millions of dollars into the economy.”

“It also showcases South Australia to the rest of the world via a huge international television
audience. Television broadcast 284 hours of this year’s event and attracted $154.3 million worth of
media coverage,” Mr Rann said.

“This year’s event was the biggest in its history as we welcomed the world’s fastest sprinters, up and
coming Australian talent, including eventual winner Cameron Meyer and farewelled the career of
seven time Tour de France winner, Lance Armstrong.”

“The Santos Tour Down Under has enjoyed massive growth since it received UCI WorldTour status
in September 2007, more than doubling in every key indicator, including economic benefit, visitor
and spectator numbers and media coverage,” he said.

Santos Chief Executive Officer David Knox praised this year’s event and said it was a privilege for
Santos to be the naming rights sponsor.

“We are extremely pleased to be associated with the Santos Tour Down Under,” Mr Knox said.

“It is an event which is embraced by the whole community.”

“As an Australian energy pioneer, we are delighted to have brought the energy of the world’s greatest
cyclists to South Australia for another highly successful Tour,” Mr Knox said.

Head of Škoda, Matthew Wiesner, said he was delighted the relationship between the European car
maker and Santos Tour Down Under would continue for another three years.

“We have strongly supported the event since 2008 when Škoda was launched in Australia. Our sales
since then have grown strongly, like the success of the event,” he said.

Independent research company McGregor Tan conducted the research on behalf of the event. The
revised crowd figures are an increase on the initial SAPOL estimate of 772,000.


         2008               2009           2010             2011      

Total attendance (crowd figures)  

548,000    760,500 770,500 782,393

Event specific visitors

15,100 36,200 39,700 37,056

Spending by Tour visitors

$1,141 $1,078 $1,047 $1,169

Economic impact

$17.3m $39m $41.5m $43.3m

Media coverage

$43m $226m $124m $154.3m

For more information please visit The Santos Tour Down Under Website